Saturday, August 25, 2012

Video of my redoing my pool myself! It was resurfaced and retiled!

I thought I would go ahead and put together a video of my redoing my pool.  It was desperately needed.

The tile was cracked up and the surface was old and also damaged from a hail storm.


This video is of my project of competely resurfacing and retiling my pool.

 I had been quoted $15,000 by two different companies to resurface the pool. I decided to do it myself. After researching about pool resurfacing for many weeks and weighing my options of epoxy paint or plaster. I chose plaster. Epoxy paint can and will peel after time. I wanted it done where it would last. I found a material and company Sider Crete. http://www.sider-crete.com/, though at that time they were Sider Oxydro.

I tried to hire people over and over again to help me. I even advertised on Craigslist and called many people. But it seemed no one wanted to help me no matter what as it was too difficult a job. So... I ended up doing it myself. The only two things I did not do myself was grind down the old tile (though I had started using an impact drill to get it out totally), and putting the tiles on. Other than that, I grouted the tiles and resurfaced it myself. It is actually a three person job.

There were many many steps to redoing the pool and it took me one and half months to finish it. I spent 12+ hours a day in the pool. Also the person who put the tiles in, made a mess and spilled mortar all over the pool surface.

 It took me one week just to clean the mess out of the pool that he had created. I had to grind down the mortar besides grind down under the tiles due to excess mortar under them. But the whole cost was approximately $3500 compared to the $15000 I was quoted.

 My pool needed to be retiled and refinished badly. I did this project in September to October 2011.

I have done many projects around my home, including laying wood floors myself, plumbing, electrical, laying tile and redoing bathrooms just to name a few projects.

I learned how to do it from researching on the internet and reading about it all. It shows a woman CAN DO what needs to be done herself! We CAN accomplish what we put our minds to!

 Hope you enjoy the video. I will put more of my before and after projects on youtube.

8 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad no heavy lifting was involved?

    No invention needed to be developed?

    A house had to be built?

    Or a self-tapping metal screw by hand was needed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin did something like this. His biggest problem was keeping junk and leaves and stuff like that from blowing in while he worked on it. Bravo to you Sherrie for sticking with it. If it had been mine the pool would have become the turtle pond.

    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had some of that and I was none too happy. That is why I had a broom in the pool with me all the time. I would sweep the area I was about to plaster, to get things that had blown in. But I don't have trees by the pool so it was not that bad. Yeah... I had those moments of "a fish pond" but I LOVE my pool. I live at it during the summer. I call it my "Air Conditioning."

      Delete
  3. Sherri,

    You were suppose to take a final picture of yourself floating in your pool with a maitai....That is amazing you did that on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Funny I thought about that after I got the video up. I should have gotten a picture of me IN the pool this year - showing my enjoyment of it.

      Hate it when I think of things afterwards.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is a big project! Well, I do commend you for taking on this big task! That is an awesome display of GIRL POWER! Redoing the pool can be a tough job, even if you are a skilled builder. But if you are having a hard time doing the job yourself, the best thing to do is to have a professional over to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much is a packnof wider crete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come and resurface my pool and deck!

    ReplyDelete